Saturday, January 5, 2013

My first baptism ever! And 9 baptisms within my District since I've been in Monroe! Good stuff!

Dear Family
     We are so grateful to the Stake President and his family! They are a great help to us and yes we did thank them.  On Christmas Day they had 3 laptops and 3 Ipads so we could all skype home.  The zone leaders and sister missionaries were there too.  And yeah maybe next year we can set it up on Megan's laptop so you can walk me around the house.  Hopefully, you guys can get a better reception from me. I thought it was strange that I got a great reception from you guys but you didn't from me.  I did get to speak with Aaron and it was awesome!  We are way excited for the future and we loved talking about the past. I couldn't hear him very well because I was on the phone when he was skyping with the family but it was all good.
     Sarah did get baptized on the 29th!!! That was one of the most spiritual experiences I have had on my mission. She really went through a lot of trials before her baptism. She had family members talk to her about anti stuff. She got really sick to the point of going to the hospital. She had a hard time giving up smoking and drinking coffee. . . . . but she did it! 
     The day of her baptism we started filling the font a little late, it takes like 3 hours to fill and we started it about an hour late. So I got a ton of buckets and started to fill those so we would be ready on time and we got it done. Sarah got there on time and I was dressed and she was dressed and ready to go. We started by singing "How Great Thou Art".  She was telling us how nervous she was.  During the song she started crying and so did I to the point that I could barely sing the song. Sister Earl spoke on Baptism (She was the person to give us the referral for Sarah). She started to tear up as well. We then were ready for the baptism. As I was waiting for her in the water, she teared up again just before she got in. And then I did my first baptism ever! And I said all the words correctly. . . . . but her knee came up so I had to do it a 2nd time. But we did it! And She is the 3rd person I have helped into the waters of baptism. We then had Sister Clark speak on the Holy Ghost.  It was a great day!
     I have now participated with 3 peoples baptisms, Debra Christy, Lavell Whitty and now Sarah Lee Groth and have helped a total of 4 people including Graham Hunter who we taught in Meridian and who later was baptized.  I have interviewed 5 people as a District Leader that were baptized, Angie Mizel, Karina Gumbelot, Amanda, Sheina Stewart, and Virdell Christopher on the 28th, and he was baptized on the 29th with Sarah. So we had 2 new converts come into the Monroe Ward on the 30th! It was great! There has been a total of around 9 baptisms within my district since I have been here in Monroe. The 9th one is including a person who was baptized my very first day in Monroe. Good stuff!  Now that I look at it all that excites me for the time I have spent here in Monroe.  And I just realized that there was another person baptized that I didn't interview in my District named Susan. So a total of 10 so far! I love it!!! But none of these converts are ours they are the Lords he converted them through the Spirit. Great work has happened so far here. All Thanks to God!
     Anyways we had a great New Years!  We ate with the Zone Leaders and a family on New Years Eve. It was actually the same family that fed us on Thanksgiving, well part of the same family. We had Sloppy Joes and did a few fireworks and just hung out with them! It was fun. They have the cutest little girl. When I become a parent I really want a little girl. She was always wanting me to hold her.  I was always hesitant because you never know how the parents feel about it so I tried not to.  We had a great day!
     We also played a lot of basketball with a bunch of people this holiday season which was fun except I think I got tendinitis in my right elbow from playing so much.  And yeah I got a voice recorder for Christmas. I just take it around with me and when I have time I record whats going on. I love it. And its something I think will really help me in school too.  Well I will end there for now. I love you and hope all is well back home. So close to my 1 year mark.  Talk to you later.
Love your son
Elder Kerr 

No comments:

Post a Comment