I had an awesome birthday! Thank you everybody! Some investigators took us to Cici's Pizza for lunch. First time ever going and I thought it was delicious!!! I bought a pair of shorts with some of my birthday money. And the cake did get here in one piece although a little beat up but sooo delicious!!!! I'm loving the new compact bible. Thank you so much for the package, I loved it!!
It's one of those hot and humid days today 87 degrees and so humid. It's crazy because not even the people from Mississippi get used to this weather. So that's going to be crazy. I did my own hair cut out here for the first time. It feels so good to have short hair. I don't like it long even when it's only a couple of inches long.
We walked around downtown and realized that half of the buildings are boarded up and not being used. But we saw some really cool places and were just thinking that this place was probably so cool back in the day. Oh, and I got to ride on one of the oldest carousels in the United States last Saturday. It was in this park (Highland Park) and it was pretty big. Apparently it's a big thing down here so I feel pretty cool having been able to ride it. We did this thing called Chalk Talk that day too with the sisters. We drew gospel pictures in the parking lot to see if anyone would ask us questions and it worked we got two new investigators. They told us to come and visit them this coming Wednesday or Thursday. So that was cool. We have interviews with the Mission President tomorrow.
This week out in the field has been way good. I got the approval to drive now. The first car I got to drive out here was a 2011 Chevy Malibu. We have taught quite a few lessons already and usually most of our lessons come on Saturday's since most people are home then. And I got to give my first blessing on Wednesday. It was awesome to finally do one. I have only done the anointing part but finally I have done the actual blessing.
It's wierd, why do so many people want us to break the rules? We have this potential investigator named Ashley that always wants us to go with her to do things like go to New Orleans or the coast of Mississippi or to a movie for my birthday. It's frustrating getting asked to do things that we can't. The one thing about this mission is that alot of missionaries have been disobedient or so I've heard alot of stories. And I don't want to be one of them and I don't want any companions that are because that would just suck. This mission is definitely hard especially when you can't find anyone solid to teach. It's hard to stay motivated but I know it's part of this mission experience.
We have some service projects lined up for today. I'm excited because we haven't done that much service since I've been out in the field. Well I'll end for now. I love you dad. I love you mom. I love you Megan and I love you Jared. I miss you all so much. I hope all is well.
Love
Elder Kerr
The Higland Park Dentzel Carousel was built in 1896 by Gustav Dentzel of Philidelphia for the 1904 St. Louis Exposition and was later sold to the City of Meridian. It arrived in Meridian in 1909 and has occupied its same location in Highland Park. Its house is the only remaining original carousel building built from the Dentzel blueprint. In 1977, Meridian's carousel and carousel house along with Highland Park were placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1986, the Department of Interior designated the Highland Park Dentzel Carousel and Carousel House as National Landmarks. At the time this honor was given to 11 carousels nationwide, with Meridian's being the only one located in the South. It was purchased in 1909 for $2,000 but today its valued at more than a million dollars and the city of Meridian views it as a unique community and country treasure.
No comments:
Post a Comment