Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Stayed District Leader in Monroe, had my 2nd Baptism and we'll miss our friend Johnny!

     Well, transfers came and went and I stayed District Leader in Monroe and my new companion is Elder Criswell from California/Arizona. He's been out about a year now.  He came out with one of the sister missionaries in my district, Sister Van Roosendall.  He graduated High School in 2009.  We have a lot in common and are getting along just fine.  I've now had 4 companions in my 8 months out and so far I've gotten along with everyone of them (more or less).  Elder Crockett was transferred to Gulport, Mississippi which is awesome.  It's one of the cities on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico in my mission and one I would like to serve in at some point.  We now have a 3-some sister group with the addition of Sister Harding who I served with in Meridian. 
      I had a scary experience a couple of weeks ago when my companion and I went to donate plasma.  A lot of the missionaries here donate plasma as a service but also to get a little extra money.  Well I received a letter from the place saying that I had a test result on my plasma that they wanted to talk to me about. And so I went in and they told me that they ran 2 tests on my plasma, the first test said that I had HIV and the second test which was a confirming test came back Negative meaning I don't have it. They said that they're pretty sure I dont have it because there are a lot of false positive tests on that.  Missionary Medical is pretty sure I dont have it and the same with President Pena but they are going to have me do a HIV blood test just for my own peace of mind.  It was hard to focus on the work after they told me that, it freaked me out big time, but the Zone Leaders gave me a blessing and it brought me some peace.  I know God gives us challenges to make us stronger.  I have a strong testimony of that. 
     So I just had my 2nd baptism last Saturday. Lavell Whitty was Baptized and Confirmed a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".  It was an amazing experience as always to see someone enter into the waters of baptism and have that desire to follow in Christs footsteps.  Especially, because I have that same desire to follow in Christ's footsteps even though I mess up a lot.  I love this Church and I love my mission.  
      I've mainly been trying to introduce Elder Criswell to everyone. We had a couple of crazy experiences at the end of last week.  I took Elder Criswell over to one of our investigators that wasn't progressing but we would visit with him anyway and try to share a message. Out of nowhere he was angry saying that Elder Crockett brought devils into his home, cussing him out, and telling us that we aren't welcome anymore. I'm pretty sure he was drunk! Or antied. Anyways, it was way random. . . . but just another average mission experience.
     Do you remember Johnny Moore? He was one of the first member's to greet me when I came to Monroe.  He was baptized almost a year ago last November.  He would always feed us missionaries and take care of us.  He even paid to have my biked fixed when it broke down.  He became a good friend to a lot of missionaries. . . . . . . He passed away at 8 o'clock on Sunday. The medics said, probably due to heart failure. It's hard to believe that he is gone but it was his time and now he is on the other side of the veil!  He wasn't in contact with any of his family.  Really, Johnny's family was the missionaries and the Church but mostly the missionaries.  We went to his viewing and graveside services.  All of his family acknowledged that we were there for him and his family. It was just a crazy sad week. I have been telling people that knew him that he has passed away pretty much the entire week.  This has been an interesting 8 weeks of my mission.
     Thanks for the BYU shirt I love it!  And thanks Connie for all those pics of the places I used to hang out at when I was home.  That mud race looked like a ton of fun too.  And congratulations on your engagement!  I'll have a new uncle when I get home.
     I got the your burrito recipe mom, thanks.  I can't wait to make them for my district for General Conference weekend. Well, I'll end there.  I sure do love you and miss you.  Hope all is well.  I love you so much!
                                                                    Elder Kerr

No comments:

Post a Comment